The great toothbrush debate: is an electric toothbrush or a manual toothbrush more effective? Dr. Hilliard
August 27th, 2009
The answer is simple: both! It’s true; you can effectively brush your teeth with either a manual or an electric toothbrush, and still maintain a clean, healthy smile. While both toothbrushes do an good job of cleaning your teeth and gums, they each offer different advantages.
Picking the Right Toothbrush
An electric toothbrush is great if you have arthritis, or are unable to grip the smaller handle of a manual toothbrush. Electric toothbrushes also have a convenient two-minute timer, so that you know you are brushing long enough. Here are a few helpful tips to help you purchase the right electric toothbrush for your needs:
• Make sure it’s comfortable and easy to hold onto.
• A toothbrush with soft bristles is best for removing plaque without hurting your teeth or gums.
• Small headed brushes are recommended, since with a smaller brush head you will be able to reach all areas of your mouth, including the often hard to reach back teeth.
• Pick a toothbrush that fits your mouth. Brushing your teeth should always be comfortable.
• Always pick a toothbrush that has the seal of approval from the American Dental Association.
Whether you use an electric toothbrush or a manual toothbrush, it is recommended that you change the toothbrush (or just the head) every three months, or whenever it starts to show wear (such as bent, or fanned out bristles). It is also important to change your toothbrush after you’ve had a bad cold or illness. Your toothbrush can collect bacteria that may lead to infection if it’s not replaced.
As always, remember to brush your teeth at least twice a day, and floss at least once. Brushing after each meal and remembering to floss can maximize the health of your smile!
If you’re wondering which kind of toothbrush is best for you, be sure to ask Dr. Hilliard. Call 863-644-0430 to schedule an appointment.
If you have a favorite toothbrush, or some helpful advice about picking out the right toothbrush, we encourage you to share your opinions with other patients just like you! We welcome your comments - happy brushing!